| NGC 7293 - The Helix Nebula
| A faint planetary nebula that is both closest to us and of largest apparent size.
- RA: 22:30
- Dec: -20:47
- Size: 16x12'
- Magnitude: 6.3
- Distance: 450 ly
- Constellation: Aquarius
- Millennium Star Atlas: Vol. III, p. 1355
- Scope: 12.5" Ritchey-Chretien at f/9
- Autoguider: unguided
- Sky conditions: Excellent transparency, excellent seeing
- Film: FLI Dream Machine CCD
- Exposure: 19x30 seconds L, 10x60 seconds R,G, 15x60 seconds B
- Date: 8-26-01
This image benefited greatly from the calibration flats I was finally able to shoot for
the luminance and color channels. In addition, various techniques including Ray Gralak's Sigmaclip were employed to produce the
smoothest result. And last, to match the average resolution of most monitors, I sized the image down to 90% of full scale for a better fit.
Back to the photograph list...