Notes and Links
William Bradford*; b. c1515, Almholme, Parish of Tickhill, Yorkshire, England; bur. 1595, Austerfield, Yorkshire, England.
- m1. Alice Morton*
- William and Alice had 3 children:
- Alice Bradford; b. bef. Nov. 28, 1552
- William Bradford* (1557-1591)
- m. Alice Hanson* (1562-1597), daughter of John Hanson* and Margaret Gressam*.
- Robert Bradford (1561-1609); bap. June 25, 1561, Austerfield; buried there on Apr 23, 1609. Robert was an uncle of Gov. William Bradford of Plymouth, who raised him after his own parents and grandparents died.
- m1. Alice Waigestafe on Jan 31,1585/6 at Austerfield.
- Robert and Alice had 7 children, all born in Austerfield:
- William Bradford (1587-1593); died young.
- Robert Bradford (1591-1637); bap. May 14, 1591; bur. Dec 25, 1637 at Austerfield.
- m1. Jane ___?
- William and Jane had one child:
- Richard Bradford; bap. at Austerfield Feb 3, 1613/14.
- m2. Elizabeth Sothwood
- William and Elizabeth had 8 children, all baptized at Austerfield:
- Judith Bradford; bap. Apr 16, 1617
- m. George Vessye on May 25, 1641; and they had children.
- Grace Bradford; bap. Apr. 16, 1617
- Elizabeth Bradford; bap. Aug 1, 1621; bur. Jul 6, 1631.
- Jane Bradford; bap. Feb 21, 1623/4; bur. May 22, 1625.
- Thomas Bradford; bur. Aug 20, 1626.
- Mary Bradford; bap. Feb 20, 1626/7
- Margaret Bradford; bap. Oct 18, 1629; bur. Oct 20, 1629
- Elizabeth Bradford; bap. Jul 24, 1631
- Marie Bradford (1593/4-1625); bur. Austerfield Dec 20/21, 1625; never married.
- An unnamed child Bradford; bur. Mar 18, 1595/6
- An unnamed child Bradford (twin to Eliz.); bur. May 14, 1597
- Elizabeth Bradford; twin to the 2nd unnamed child above; bap. May 15, 1597; alive in 1609; not known to have married.
- Margaret Bradford; b. Jun 8, 1600, alive in 1609; not known to have married.
- m2. Margaret Fox
- William and Margaret had a daughter:
- Elizabeth Bradford
- m. James Hall, on June 25, 1595, at Austerfield, and had 4 children.
William Bradford (1515-1595) a prosperous Yeoman farmer, was apparently the first Bradford to settle in Austerfield. In 1577 he had purchased from Anthony Morton; land and houses in Austerfield and Bawtry (in Yorkshire); and land in Mission (in Nottinghamshire). He already owned lands in Tickhill and Bentley from his parents and grandparents. Even before this purchase, in 1575, he and John Hanson were the only taxed inhabitants of Austerfield. Bradford was assessed 20s on his land, whereas John Hanson was assessed 60s on "goods".
William Bradford's first wife was very probably Alice Morton, a sister of the Anthony Morton from whom he bought land and houses. According to the Browne Reference (see below), William Bradford (c1515-1595) won these properties in a "fine" where Bradford was a "plaintiff" and Anthony Morton and his wife, Mary are "deforciants". The same article asserts that William Bradford's 1 st. wife was Alice Morton, sister of Anthony Morton, and that Anthony Morton was the grandfather of George Morton, the Plymouth Colonist. One of Anthony Morton's two sons was George Morton (the elder) who married Catherine Boun and had a son, the George Morton of Leyden and Plymouth, a member of the Seperatists, many of whom sailed to Plymouth on the Mayflower.
George Morton was therefore, a second cousin to Gov. William Bradford. George sailed originally on the Speedwell which developed leaks and had to return to England, so he came later on the Anne in 1623. He married Juliane Carpenter, a sister of Alice Carpenter, the 2nd wife of Governor Bradford. Thus he was also a brother-in-law to Gov. William Bradford of Plymouth.
William Bradford (c1515-1595) married his second wife, Margaret Fox, in Nottingham on Oct. 19, 1567. Margaret was the daughter of William Fox of Harworth , Nottingham County, by whom William Bradford (c1515-1595) had one child (a daughter), Elizabeth Bradford (bap. July 16, 1571). Elizabeth married James Hall at Austerfield on June 25, 1595 and had four children surnamed Hall, three of whom were living in 1609.
- English Origins of New England Families, 2nd Ser. Vol. 1. p. 243 Ancestry of the Bradfords of Austerfield, Co. York by William Bradford Browne. Ed. by Gary Boyd Roberts, pub. by Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore, 1985.
- The Mayflower Web Pages
- Bradford of Plymouth by Bradford Smith, Pub. by J. B. Lippencott, 1951.
- Descendants of Governor William Bradford, by Ruth Gardiner Hall, under auspices of the Bradford Family Compact.
- Bradford Genealogy by Faith Bradford
- A Line of Bradfords 1460-1988 by Bradford Stone
Go to the Index of ancestral surnames
Go to the Index of Names: which includes names of in-laws, half-relations, aliases, and adopters.
Go to the How to use this genealogy page.
Contact the author: e-mail link: Phillips Verner Bradford
Note: Ancestors of Phillips Verner Bradford are denoted in the text lists with an asterisk (*) following the names.