Notes and Links
William Bradford*; b. July 1, 1718, Canterbury CT; d. June 19, 1781, Canterbury CT.
- m1. Zerviah Lathrop in 1738. Zerviah died on Oct 22 1740, probably from complications of childbirth of their daughter:
- Zerviah Bradford; b. Sep 6 1740; d. in infancy.
- m2. Mary Cleaveland* (1720-1765) on Apr. 6, 1743.
- William and Mary had 14 children all born at Canterbury CT:
- Mary Bradford; b. Mar. 1, 1744.
- William Bradford; b. Mar. 4, 1745; d. Mar. 1808.
- m. Anna Spaulding. No children.
- Ebenezer Bradford; b. May 29, 1746; d. Jan 3, 1801. Reverend; Grad. Princeton College, 1773
- m. Elizabeth Green, sister of Ashbel Green (1762-1848), President of Princeton College. Ebenezer and Elizabeth had 9 children.
- David Bradford; b. May 8, 1748.
- m. Rhoda Palmer; on Jul 1, 1770. They had 5 children.
- John Bradford; b. July 27, 1750; d. Oct. 9, 1827
- m1. Elizabeth Bond, on Apr. 22, 1773. She died Mar. 18, 1822. No known children.
- m2. Hannah Lyon (1761-1828), "of Canterbury", on Jan. 15, 1823. They had 4 children
- Joshua Bradford; Oct. 17, 1751; d. June 11, 1819, Braceville OH.
- m. Anna Cleveland on Feb. 9, 1775. They had 4 children.
- Abigail Bradford; b. Sep. 2, 1753; d. 1815.
- m. Lewis Barton. Had no children.
- James Bradford; b. Feb. 1, 1755; d. Sep. 17, 1775, Norwich CT
- Olive Bradford; b. July 13, 1756; d. Apr. 10, 1841.
- m. Hezekiah Barstow (1755-1826), on May 23, 1776.
- Josiah Bradford; b. Nov. 25, 1757; d. Mar. 10, 1796.
- m. Elizabeth Merritt (c1759-1841), on May 17, 1785.
- a daughter, stillborn.
- Lydia Bradford; July 2, 1760.
- m. Rufus Hibbard, and had 12 children.
- Elisha Bradford; b. Mar. 1762.
- Beulah Bradford; b. Sep. 3, 1763; d. 1799.
- m. Moses Butterfield in 1793 and had 4 children.
- Moses Bradford* (1765-1838).
- m1. Dorothy Charlotte Bradstreet (1765-1838)
- m2. Sarah Eaton* (1771-1848).
- m3. Martha (Warren) Killingsly, in about 1766. She died on Sep. 23, 1775.
- The cause of Martha's death was described as "...with the dizzintery". In view of the fact that two of her children also died on the same day and a third only 20 days before, and one of her step-sons, James, died on Sep. 17, 1775 of the same disorder, although in Norwich, there must have been a deadly epidemic of dysentery in CT in Sept. 1775. They had five children, all but one of whom (Benjamin) died young:
- Joseph Bradford; b. Jan. 22, 1767, d. Sep. 23, 1775.
- Benjamin Bradford; b. Mar. 29, 1768, d. Dec. 16, 1843.
- m. Ruby Allen; on Oct 1, 1797; She was "of Windham", b. 1769; d. Nov. 1, 1847. Benjamin and Ruby had four daughters.
- Keziah Bradford; b. Jun 11, 1770; d. Jun 20, 1770, triplet.
- Zerviah Bradford; b. Jun 12, 1770; d. Sep 23, 1775, triplet.
- Martha Bradford; b. Jun 12, 1770; d. Sep 23. 1775, triplet.
- Samuel Warren Bradford; b. Nov. 5, 1772, d. Sep. 13, 1775.
- m4. Abigail Stedman, in about 1776. William and Abigail had no children, and Abigail remarried to Dr. Franklin Knott after William Bradford died in 1781.
William Bradford* (1718-1781) lived all his life on a farm in Canterbury CT. He had inherited much of his father's farm there. He occupied himself in farming, clearing land, raising cattle, and tanning hides. He married four times and had a total of 20 children.
He died from "... a sickness occasioned by a blow he received upon his head from the head of his horse..." presumably leading to apoplexy and death.
- The Genealogy of the Cleveland and Cleaveland Families, by E. J. Cleveland and H. G. Cleveland, pub. by Case Lockwood & Brainard, Hartford CT, 1899.
- Descendants of Governor William Bradford, by Ruth Gardiner Hall, under auspices of the Bradford Family Compact.
- Bradford Genealogy by Faith Bradford
- A Line of Bradfords 1460-1988 by Bradford Stone
Go to the Index of ancestral surnames
Go to the Index of Names: which includes names of in-laws, half-relations, aliases, and adopters.
Go to the How to use this genealogy page.
Contact the author: e-mail link: Phillips Verner Bradford
Note: Ancestors of Phillips Verner Bradford are denoted in the text lists with an asterisk (*) following the names.