Notes and Links
William Battle*; b. in 1682, on Paspetank River NC; d. in 1749, in Nansemond County VA. William* is the son of John Battle* and Elizabeth ___?*. John Battle* and his brother Mathew Battle emigrated from England and settled on the Nansemond River in Virginia.
- m. Sarah Hunter* (1684-1769). She was the daughter of William Hunter*, who was probably a son of Anthony Hunter* who arrived in VA in 1639. Her mother was Rebecca Besse*
- William Battle II
- m. Miss Brown, daughter of Dr. John Brown
- William Battle III; d. unmarried.
- John Battle; b. Apr. 30, 1709, in Nansemond. County VA
- m. Sarah Brown in 1726, and settled in Hertford County NC
- John and Sarah had (at least) 1 son:
- William Battle; known as "Capt. William Battle" (1758-1802)
- m. Mary Ann Williams (1768-1816), who married 2nd on Dec 2, 1804, William Arrington, son of Arthur Arrington and Mary Sandefur. Willam Arrington and Mary Ann had 2 children; Nancy Arrington; and Nicholas Arrington, both born in Nash County, NC.
- Capt. William Battle and Mary Ann had 8 children, all born in Nash County, NC:
- Thomas Battle; known as Rev. Thomas Battle; b. Aug 14, 1786; d. May 1883.
- Lawrence Battle; m. Martha Arrington, daughter of Gen. William Arrington and Anne Jackson of Nash County, NC.
- William Battle.
- Frederick Battle.
- Elizabeth Battle.
- Martha Battle.
- Alfred Battle, (1801-1877), moved to Tuscaloosa AL in 1822, and built the Battle-Friedman House, there in 1835.
- Mary Ann Battle; married Henry Watkins Collier, Governor of Alabama during 1849-1853
- Sarah Battle
- Mary Battle
- Elisha Battle* (1723-1799)
William Battle* (1682-1749) was born on the Papsetank River (now called the Pasquotank River) on a plantation formed by his father, John Battle*. When his father died in about 1690, William returned at the age of 8 or 9 years old, under the care of guardians, to his former home on the Nansemond River in Virginia where he grew up, married, raised his children and died in 1749.
John Battle*, first married Mary Rame on July 30, 1638. John emigrated to America in 1654 with his second wife, Elizabeth*.
Go to the Index of ancestral surnames
Go to the Index of Names: which includes names of in-laws, half-relations, aliases, and adopters.
Go to the How to use this genealogy page.
Contact the author: e-mail link: Phillips Verner Bradford
Note: Ancestors of Phillips Verner Bradford are denoted in the text lists with an asterisk (*) following the names.