Notes and Links
Thomas Adams*; bap. Mar. 25, 1612, Barton St. David, Somersetshire, England. d. July 20, 1688 in Chelmsford, MA.
- m. Mary Blackmore*; b. 1612 in England; m. 1642 in Braintree MA. She died March 23, 1694/95.
- Thomas and Mary had 9 children:
- Mary Adams; b. July 24, 1643, Braintree MA; d. "soon after".
- Jonathan Adams; b. Mar. 6, 1645/6, Concord MA.
- Pelatiah Adams*; b. Mar. 6, 1645/6, Concord MA, twin to Jonathan; d. 1724.
- Timothy Adams; b. Apr. 15, 1648, Concord MA.
- George Adams; b. May 29, 1650, Concord MA.
- Samuel Adams; b. c1652; bap. Feb. 1, 1656/7, Concord MA.
- Mary Adams; b. c1654; bap. Feb. 1, 1656/7, Chelmsford MA.
- Edith Adams; b. Feb. 21, 1655/6, Chelmsford MA.
- Thomas Adams; b. July 22, 1660; d. Nov. 30, 1660, Chelmsford MA.
Thomas Adams* (1612-1688) was born in Barton St. David, Somersetshire, England. He is the son of Henry Adams* (1583-1646) also of Barton St. David (and later, Braintree, MA), and Edith Squire* (1587-1673), the progenitors of the same Adams family that produced Presidents John Adams and John Quincy Adams.
Thomas came to America with his parents in 1638. He married Mary Blackmore in about 1642 in New England. Mary was born in England in about 1613 and died in Charlestown MA, on Mar. 23, 1694/5.
Thomas was mentioned on May 10, 1643 as having been admitted as a Freeman of the Massachusetts Colony . He was a landowner in Concord in 1646. In 1655, he became one of the founders of Chelmsford MA, where he held several town offices. Thomas was the deputy from Chelmsford to the Massachusetts General Court in 1673.
Thomas was appointed an Ensign in 1678, Lieutenant in May, 1682, of the Chelmsford Military Company. He died in Chelmsford on July 20, 1688 at the age of 76 years.
- Henry Adams of Somersetshire, England and Braintree, Mass., compiled by J. Gardner Bartlett for Edward Dean Adams, privately printed, New York, 1927.
- Descendants of Governor William Bradford, by Ruth Gardiner Hall, under auspices of the Bradford Family Compact.
- Bradford Genealogy by Faith Bradford
- A Line of Bradfords 1460-1988 by Bradford Stone
Go to the Index of ancestral surnames
Go to the Index of Names: which includes names of in-laws, half-relations, aliases, and adopters.
Go to the How to use this genealogy page.
Contact the author: e-mail link: Phillips Verner Bradford
Note: Ancestors of Phillips Verner Bradford are denoted in the text lists with an asterisk (*) following the names.