Moses Bradstreet Bradford
See Photo of Moses Bradstreet Bradford
Notes and Links
Moses Bradstreet Bradford*; b. Apr. 20, 1799, Francestown NH; d. Sep. 23, 1878, McIndoes Falls VT.
- m1. Ascenath Church Dickman* (1796-1840), on Nov. 25, 1829, Northfield MA.
- Moses Bradstreet and Ascenath Church had 4 children:
- Sarah Ann Bradford; b. Sep. 20, 1830, Montague MA; d. Sep. 11, 1878, Worcester MA.
- m. Jonathan Francis Whipple on Oct. 11, 1853 in Medway MA. He was born on Oct. 11, 1828, Medway MA. They had four children who all died before any opportunity to produce further generations: Helen Whipple (1854-1856) in NYC, who died young; Jennie Frances Whipple (1855-1855) in Bridgeport CT, who also died young; George Cheever Whipple (1858-1878) of NYC, who died at about 20 years of age; and Henry Washburn Whipple (1863-1889) of NYC, who died at 26 years of age, and was buried in Westboro MA.
- Maria Cushman Bradford; b. July 21, 1833, Grafton VT; d. Jan. 18, 1909, Buffalo NY.
- m. Thomas Denny Demond on Sep. 25, 1851 in Grafton VT. He was born Apr. 22, 1827, Ware MA; d. June 18, 1899, Buffalo NY. They had a daughter, Lucia Almira Demond; b. Aug. 18, 1859, Montague MA; d. Feb. 17, 1941, East Aurora NY.
- James Henry Bradford* (1836-1913)
- Helen Ascenath Bradford; b. June 19, 1840, Grafton VT; d. Dec. 17, 1901, Buffalo NY. According to Bradford Stone, "She grew up an unruly and difficult child not well adjusted to life. This was augmented by an unhappy love affair." She married on her 43rd. birthday, June 19, 1883, in Buffalo. She had no children, and they were later divorced.
- m. John H. Pettingill; b. Nov. 23, 1840, Grafton VT.
- m2. Martha Mehitable Green (1807-1902) on July 17, 1843. She is the daughter of Levi Green; b. Nov. 6, 1767, of Westmoreland NH, and Martha Earl; b. June 22, 1774, of Boston MA.
- Moses Bradstreet and Martha Mehitable had 3 children:
- Martha Elizabeth Earl Bradford; b. Nov. 22, 1845, Grafton VT. She graduated from Mt. Holyoke College in 1869 and taught Greek, first in a girl's school in St. Johns, New Brunswick, Canada, and later at Mt. Holyoke.
- m. Dr. James Oscar Gilchrist, M.D.; b. Aug. 8, 1849, McIndoes Falls VT; d. Jan 2, 1933, Rutland VT; where he is buried. Dr. Gilchrist graduated from Dartmouth College in 1871 and received his M.D. from Long Island Hospital College in 1874. The Gilchrists lived in Peacham VT, where they had a daughter:
- Beth Gilchrist, b. Apr. 14, 1879. Beth, was a frequent corespondent with, and half-cousin to Faith Bradford (1880-1970), the author of the Bradford genealogy from which much of this material is drawn. There are many personal memories and anecdotal stories in her work which includes a brief appendix on the Gilchrist family.
- Mary Cleveland Bradford; b. Apr. 23, 1847, Grafton VT; d. Nov. 24, 1927. She graduated from Mt. Holyoke College in 1871, then taught Latin there for 13 years followed by a year of research at Yale. Although once engaged to be married, the man to whom she was betrothed, died of tuberculosis. She never married. Afterward her year at Yale, she taught at a school in Canada and later served as a chaperone at a girl's school in Chevy Chase MD. She died in her sister, Martha's, home in Rutland VT.
- Moses Bradstreet Bradford, Jr.; b. Nov. 8, 1849, Grafton VT; d. Oct. 17, 1935, Buffalo NY. He graduated from the Sheffield Scientific School of Yale in 1975. He joined the firm of Barnes & Bancroft, a Buffalo department store, formed by his brother-in-law, William Bancroft who returned from Europe after the Civil War. After William Bancroft died in 1881, the store became Hengerer & Co. and Moses Bradstreet Bradford, Jr. became its chief financial officer for the rest of his working life. Harriet's parents were Daniel Minor Lord (1800-1861), b. in Lyme CT, and Eliza Ann Hardy (1807-1899), b. in Chatham, MA. Faith Bradford included a brief appendix on the Lord family in her genealogy.
- m. Harriet Lucinda Lord on Sep. 25, 1883 in Buffalo NY. She was b. Jan. 6, 1853, Shelter Island, L.I., NY, d. Apr. 7, 1928, Buffalo NY and buried there. Harriet's parents were Daniel Minor Lord (1800-1861), b. in Lyme CT, and Eliza Ann Hardy (1807-1899), b. in Chatham, MA. Faith Bradford included a brief appendix on the Lord family in her genealogy.
Moses B. Bradford, Jr. and Harriet had a daughter:
- Elise Lord; b. Dec. 27, 1888 in Buffalo NY.
Moses Bradstreet Bradford* (1799-1878) was born at Francestown NH, prepared for college at the Kimball Union Academy, followed by Pembroke, both in New Hampshire. He then entered Amherst College (MA) in 1821 and graduated in 1825. He was the 31st person to graduate from Amherst College. After graduation from Amherst, he studied theology with the Rev. Theophilus Packard (1802-1885) of Shelburne MA from 1825-27 (The 7th person to graduate from Amherst).
Moses Bradstreet Bradford received his M.A. from Amherst in 1828, and was licensed to preach as a "candidate" by the Windham Association of Halifax VT, where he trained for about a year. He was ordained on Nov. 19, 1829 at Montague MA by the Rev. Heman Humphrey D.D., President of Amherst. He served as the preacher at the Congregational Church in Montague for three years, 1828-32 and was the Pastor at the Congregational Church in Grafton, VT from 1832 to 1859. His installation at Grafton on Oct. 31, 1832, was overseen by the Rev. John Wheeler D.D. Rev. Wheeler was then Pastor at Windsor, and subsequently President of the University of Vermont.
The biographical record for Moses Bradstreet Bradford in the Amherst College Biographical Record 1821-1939, indicates that he married Mrs. Asenath C. Ewers on Nov. 5, 1829. Note that the spelling of her name (without a "c" following the "s") and the marriage date (by 20 days) are at variance with the genealogies compiled by Faith Bradford, and subsequently copied by Bradford Stone. The Amherst Record also shows that her father, Thomas Dickman, died in Greenfield MA, on July 26, 1840, rather than Dec. 9, 1841, as listed by Faith Bradford.
Moses Bradstreet Bradford. married a second time after Ascenath's death in 1840. His second wife, whom he married on July 17, 1843, was Martha Mehitable Green (1807-1902), daughter of Levi Green of Westmoreland, NH. Martha was a descendant of a long line of the Putnam family (her maternal grandmother was Mehitable Putnam)
- Bradford Genealogy by Faith Bradford
- A Line of Bradfords 1460-1988 by Bradford Stone
Go to the Index of ancestral surnames
Go to the Index of Names: which includes names of in-laws, half-relations, aliases, and adopters.
Go to the How to use this genealogy page.
Contact the author: e-mail link: Phillips Verner Bradford
Note: Ancestors of Phillips Verner Bradford are denoted in the text lists with an asterisk (*) following the names.