Notes and Links
Josiah Cleaveland*; b. Feb. 26, 1666/7, Woburn MA; d. Apr. 26, 1709, Canterbury CT
- m. Mary Bates*; b. May 8, 1667, Chelmsford MA; d. July 20, 1743, Canterbury CT; in about 1689. She is the daughter of John Bates* (1641-1722) and Mary Falwell* (c1642-1713/4). Mary Bates married secondly, Robert Boswell as his 2nd wife on Jan. 22, 1721/2.
- Josiah and Mary had 11 children:
- Josiah Cleaveland* (1690-1750)
- m. Abigail Paine* (1686-1762).
- Joseph Cleaveland; b. June 13, 1692, Chelmsford MA.
- Mary Cleaveland; b. Mar. 17, 1694, Chelmsford MA.
- John Cleaveland; b. June 28, 1696, Chelmsford MA.
- Jonathan Cleaveland; b. Mar. 2, 1698, Chelmsford MA; d. Apr. 5, 1698, in infancy.
- Henry Cleaveland; b. Dec. 22, 1699, Chelmsford MA.
- Jonathan Cleaveland; b. c1701; d. July 15, 1713, Canterbury CT.
- Rachel Cleaveland; b. c1703, Canterbury CT.
- Lydia Cleaveland; b. Dec. 7, 1704, Canterbury CT.
- Deliverance Cleaveland; (son); b. July 13, 1707, Canterbury CT.
- Abiel or Abigail Cleaveland; b. Oct. 9, 1709, Canterbury CT.
Josiah Cleaveland* (1666/7-1709), served in the Indian Wars, 1688-9, probably in Maine. He married and settled in Chelmsford MA in 1689, as did his brother, Samuel.
Josiah followed his brother, Samuel, to Plainfield CT, that part of which later became Canterbury CT, in 1693. His lands were acquired directly through treaties with Indians, and Josiah is considered one of the founders of Plainfield CT.
Ann Winn* (c1626-bef1682) is the daughter of Edward Winn*; b. c1603; d. Sep 5, 1682; and Joanna Hatch*; b. 1607; d. Mar 8, 1648/9; the first of Edward's 3 wives. Edward and Joanna, who were married in England in about 1625 also had a son, Increase Winn, who married Hannah Sawtelle, who are progenitors of President Herbert Hoover.
A Line of descent to President Herbert Hoover
- Edward Winn* (c1603-1682), married Joanna Hatch* (1607-1645/6), and had a son:
- Increase Winn (1641-1690), who married Hannah Sawtell (1642-1722/3), in 1665, and had son:
- Jabob Winn (b. 1681), who married Prudence Wyman (b. 1683), as his first wife, in 1704, and had son:
- Jacob Winn, Jr., (b. c1715), who married Sarah Buck (b. c1720) and had son:
- Jacob Winn (1744-1809), who married Phoebe Grout (1751-1819), and had daughter:
- Endymia Winn (b. c1770), who married Thomas Sherwood (c1766-1844), and had daughter:
- Lucinda Sherwood (1794-1854), who married John Minthorn (1768-1859), and had son:
- Theodore Minthorn (1718-1866), who married Mary Wasley (1818-1903), and had daughter:
- Hulda Randall Minthorn (1848-1884), who married Jesse Clark Hoover (1846-1880), and had son:
- Herbert Clark Hoover (1874-1964), 31st President of the United States.
- The Genealogy of the Cleveland and Cleaveland Families, by E. J. Cleveland and H. G. Cleveland, pub. by Case Lockwood & Brainard, Hartford CT, 1899.
Go to the Index of ancestral surnames
Go to the Index of Names: which includes names of in-laws, half-relations, aliases, and adopters.
Go to the How to use this genealogy page.
Contact the author: e-mail link: Phillips Verner Bradford
Note: Ancestors of Phillips Verner Bradford are denoted in the text lists with an asterisk (*) following the names.