Notes and Links
Daniel Driggs was born on Dec 27, 1741, in Middletown, Middlesex County CT; he died in 1800, after living in Marcellus, Onondaga County NY
- m. Ruth Graves (1812-1896), on Nov 15, 1763, at East Haddam CT . She was born on about 1743 at East Haddam, daughter of Benjamin Graves and his unknown wife. Daniel and Ruth had 8 children:
- Lucy Driggs; b. 1764, East Haddam CT.
- Martin Driggs; b. 1766, New Hartford CT; d. Jun 12, 1821.
- Roswell Driggs; b. 1768, New Hartford.
- Rhoda Driggs; b. 1770, Farmington CT.
- m. Leaman Gaylord on Dec 12, 1791 at Farmington.
- Jehiel Driggs; b. 1775, Waterlou CT; never married.
- Daniel Dow Driggs; b. 1779, Middletown; d. 1836.
- Urial Driggs (1780-1800)
- m. Hannah Ford (1780-1848)
- Ruth Driggs; b. c 1781; d. 1848.
Daniel Driggs was born on Dec 27, 1741, probably in Middletown, Middlesex County CT. He died in 1800 after living in Marcellus, Onandaga County NY. He served in the Colonial Army and participated in the campaigns of 1760, 1761, and 1762. Then he returned home to CT, and married Ruth Graves on Nov. 15, 1763 at East Haddam.
On June 6, 1776 he enlisted from East Haddam to serve in the American Revolution. After such service was concluded he settled in New York State at Marcellus in Onondaga County.
Daniel Driggs' father was also named Daniel Driggs (1721-1798). The senior Daniel Driggs married Elizabeth Strickland in 1740 at Middletown CT. Elizabeth Strickland was born in Middletown in 1721, daughter of David Strickland and Elizabeth Hubbard, and died after 1760. Daniel Driggs (senior) and Elizabeth Stickland had 8 children:
- Daniel Driggs; b. Dec 27, 1741, Middletown CT; d. 1800.
- m. Ruth Graves; b. c1743.
- John Driggs; b. Jun 30, 1743, Middletown; d. 1810.
- Bartholomew Driggs; b. May 9, 1745, Middletown; d. Jan 1828.
- Elizabeth Driggs; b. Mar 14, 1747, Middletown.
- Mary Driggs; b. May 14, 1749, East Haddam.
- Sarah Driggs; b. Feb 1, 1751, East Haddam.
- David Driggs; b. Feb 15, 1754, East Haddam.
- Esther Driggs; b. Apr 11, 1756, East Haddam.
Daniel Driggs (Sr.)'s (1721-1800) father was Joseph Driggs who married Elizabeth (Martin) Boarn, widow of Joseph Boarn (or Bourne?), and daughter of Nathaniel Martin. Joseph Driggs and Elizabeth (Martin) Boarn had 5 children:
Joseph Driggs was said to have been found as a youth, bound to the floating mast of a ship that had wrecked in a storm on the Saybrook Bar in the mouth of the Connecticut River in 1703 or 1704. He seemed to know little English, but said his name was "Dreegs". Searches in England, France, Portugal, and Spain, have not been sucessful in finding from where he came, but it would also seem that Holland is a possibility, since the Connecticut River had Dutch settlers on its western bank, which could have been a destination for this wrecked ship. In 1709, Joseph was a soldier in the Connecticut troops. Joseph is thought to be the common ancestor for all people genetically surnamed Driggs.
- Joseph Driggs; b. Jul 5, 1717; d. in infancy.
- Joseph Driggs; b. Sep 14, 1718; d. 1797.
- Elizabeth Driggs; b. Dec 11, 1719; d. 1740 unmarried.
- Daniel Driggs; b. May 17, 1721; d. 1798.
- m. Elizabeth Strickland (1721-a1760), whose oldest child (of 8) was Daniel Driggs (1741-1800).
- John Driggs; b. Jan 26, 1724.
Go to the Index of ancestral surnames
Go to the Index of Names: which includes names of in-laws, half-relations, aliases, and adopters.
Go to the How to use this genealogy page.
Contact the author: e-mail link: Phillips Verner Bradford