Davis and Margaret Battle had 4 children:
- JOSIAH DAVIS BATTLE; b. 18 Sep 1811, North Carolina; d. 2 Jan 1864, Madison Co, AL.
- m. on Dec 20. 1837, Mary Elizabeth MCCRARY; b. 23 Jan 1817; Mary Elizabeth McCrary is related to President George Washington, see below.
- Josiah Davis and Mary Elizabeth Battle had 8 children:
- EMMA JANE BATTLE; b. 17 Aug 1840, Meridianville, Madison County,AL; d. 7 Jun 1882, Lawrence County, AL.
- m. on May 31, 1860, MANOAH BOSTICK HAMPTON II (C.S.A.); b. 16 Apr, 1835, Leighton, Colbert County,AL; d. 2 Mar 1915, Leighton, AL.
- Emma Jane and Manoah Bostick Hampton had 7 children:
- Cynthia Mitchell HAMPTON; b. 12 May 1861, Huntsville,AL; d. 5 May 1937, Pasadena, Los Angeles, CA.
- m. on Oct 30, 1907, Arthur Wallace SIAS; b. 7 Jun 1855; d. 2 Aug 1928, California.
- MARY ELIZABETH "Lilie" HAMPTON; b. 6 Sep 1863, Leighton, AL; d. 24 Jun 1925, Nashville,TN.
- m. on Aug 11, 1885, WALTER FLAVIS MCCLURE (Sr.); b. 1 Mar 1856, Cornersville,TN; d. 24 Jul 1915, Birmingham,AL.
- Mary Elizabeth and Walter Flavis McClure (Sr.) had 6 children:
- Mary Battle MCCLURE; b. 30 Aug 1886; d. 1979, Birmingham, AL.
- m. on Jun 8, 1910, William Watson WALKER; b. 28 Apr 1882, Clay County, AL; d. 1943, Birmingham, AL.
- William Hampton MCCLURE; b. 22 Jul 1889, Lewisburg,TN; d. 1959,Birmingham, AL.
- m. on Nov 29, 1911, Mary BRYAN; b. 1889; d.1969, Birmingham, AL.
- Walter F. MCCLURE Jr.; b. 3 Nov 1892, West Point, TN; d. 1981; Birmingham, AL.
- m. Bessie WILSON; b.14 Mar 1898, Warrington, England; d.1990, Louisiana.
- Robert P. MCCLURE; b. 29 Oct 1894, Lewisburg,TN; d. 16 Jun 1955, Birmingham, AL.
- m. on Jun 12, 1920, Helen Virginia JACKSON; b. 20 Jun 1899, Georgia; d. 25 May 1974, Birmingham, AL.
- Robert P. and Helen Virginia Jackson McClure had two children:
- Jeanne McClure (1921-1999)
- m. Samuel H. Sanders, Jr. (1915-1993) and had two children:
- Samuel H. Sanders III
- Virginia Elizabeth Sanders; b. 1952; see reference below.
- Robert McClure (1923-1962)
- Lilie MCCLURE; b. 9 Mar 1898, Lewisburg, TN; d. 1986, Nashville, TN.
- m. on Mar 14, 1929, Campbell Gentry MILES (Sr.); b. 12 Dec, 1878; d. 29 Apr 1960.
- Sue Chilton MCCLURE; b. 5 Feb 1904, Lewisburg,TN; d. 1987, Birmingham, AL.
- m1. Lamar ALDRIDGE; b. 16 Aug 1894, Catherine, AL; d. 1939.
- m2. Robins Pharr ALDRIDGE
- Dr. Thomas McCrary HAMPTON; b. 9 Jun 1865.
- Emma HAMPTON; b.14 Jul 1869, Alabama.
- m. James T. WOOD; b.1865, Illinois; d. Mar 1935.
- Emma and James Wood had 2 children:
- James T. WOOD, Jr.
- Mary J. WOOD; b. 1894, Montana.
- m. C. A. LINN; b. Minnesota.
- Matilda Parberry HAMPTON; b. 26 Jul 1873; d .30 Jan 1953, Helena, Montana.
- m. Gideon Kennedy SPENCER; buried in Montana.
- Matilda and Manoah Hampton had 2 children:
- Matilda SPENCER; b. c1909.
- m. on Dec 27, 1930, Milton V. RITTER.
- Louise SPENCER; b. 1903; d. 1912.
- Manoah Bostick HAMPTON III; b. 14 Aug 1877, Alabama; d.1 Dec 1957, Los Angeles, CA.
- m. on Nov 16, 1911; Eva HARTFIELD.
- Brock Chilton HAMPTON; b. 15 Sep 1880; d. Probably Washington,DC.
- m. Anna ___?
- Brock and Anna Hampton had one child:
- Jane Elizabeth HAMPTON; b.13 Jan 1921, Washington,D.C.
- Margaret Elizabeth BATTLE; b. c1839.
- Jacob William BATTLE; b.c1842;
- Mary Thomas BATTLE;b. 21 Feb 1844; d. May 1884).
- m. on Jun 8, 1868, Dr. John Placibo HAMPTON; b. 22 Jan 1825, Lawrence County,AL; d. 8 Jun 1907-Madison Co,AL.
- Lucinda Battle BATTLE;b. 20 Aug 1846; d.18 Oct 1850
- Eliza McCrary BATTLE; b. c1849.
- Cullen Wright BATTLE; b. 23 Jul 1854; d. 23 Aug 1854.
- Josiah Davis BATTLE II; b.10 Apr 1858; d. 30 Apr 1882.
- William Davis BATTLE; b.9 Apr 1806.
- Jacob E. BATTLE; b.15 May 1808.
- Joseph John BATTLE; b.28 Oct 1809
Relationship between Mary Elizabeth McCrary and President George Washington
Mary Elizabeth was a second cousin, 4 times removed from George Washington. Their common ancestor was Col. John Washington of Westmoreland County, VA.
Col. John Washington (great-grandfather of George Washington), married Anne Pope and had at least one daughter (Anne) and one son (Lawrence):
- Anne Washington; b. sep 1659, Westmoreland County, VA; d. Mar 1697, Great House Point, Wesmoreland County, VA; m. in 1662, Maj. Francis Wright; b. 1656/60, Coan, Northumberland County, VA; d. jun 17, 1713, Westmoreland County, VA.
- Anne Washington and Maj. Francis Wright had a son:
- Maj. John Wright; b Feb 25, 1685/87, Westmoreland County, VA; d. 1739, Prince William County, VA.
- m. Dorothy ___?, and had a son:
- Capt./Judge John Wright II; who married Elizabeth Bronaugh and had a son:
- Capt. John Wright, III; who married Ann Williams, and had a son:
- Capt. Daniel Wright; who married Nancy Young, and had a daughter:
- Elizabeth "Betsy" Wright; who married Maj. Thomas McCrary, and had a daughter:
- Mary Elizabeth McCrary; who married Josiah Davis Battle, see above.
- Lawrence Washington (Grandfather of President George Washington); b. Sep 1659, Mattox Creek, Westmoreland County, VA; d. Feb 1698, same place; m. Mildred Warner; b. c1671, Warner Hall, Gloucester County, VA; d. Mar 26, 1701, Whitehaven, Cumberland, England.
- Lawrence and Mildred Washington had a son:
- Augustine Washington (father of George Washington); b. 1694, Mattox Creek, Westmoreland County, VA; d. Apr 12, 1743, Ferry Farm, King George County, VA.
- m. on Mar 6, 1730 Mary Ball; b.1708, Lancaster, VA; d. Feb 25, 1789, Fredericksburg, VA.
- Augustine and Mary Ball Washington had a son:
- The data on this page has been provided by: Virginia Elizabeth (Sanders) Mylius of Birmingham, AL.
Return to the genealogy of Elisha Battle (1723-1799)
Go to the Index of ancestral surnames
Go to the Index of Names: which includes names of in-laws, half-relations, aliases, and adopters.
Go to the How to use this genealogy page.
Contact the author: e-mail link: Phillips Verner Bradford