Notes and Links
Abigail Paine*; b. Jan. 5, 1686, Eastham MA; d. Aug. 26, 1762, probably Canterbury CT.
- m. Josiah Cleaveland* (1690-1750) on Aug. 7, 1710.
- Abigail and Josiah had 11 children all born at Canterbury CT:
- Keziah Cleaveland; b. Nov. 26, 1711.
- Josiah Cleaveland; b. Apr. 4, 1713. A Lt. in the Amer. Rev.
- m1. Sarah Lawrence.
- m2. Johanna (Waldo) Brewster, daughter of Edward Waldo (1684-1767) of Windham CT, and his first wife, Thankful Demmuck, and widow of ___? Brewster. Edward married 2nd., Mary Paine (1685/6-1768), as her 2nd. husband. Mary is a sister to Abigail Paine (1686-1762), Josiah's mother.
- Abigail Cleaveland; b. June 3, 1715.
- m1. Benjamin Brown.
- m2. John Adams.
- Elisha Cleaveland; b. Jan. 7, 1716/7
- m1. Esther Morse
- m2. Ruth Paine; b. May 25, 1723, daughter of Solomon Paine (1698-1754) and Ruth Carver (1701-1731). Elisha and Ruth are first cousins to each other.
- Lois Cleaveland; b. Dec. 11, 1718; d. Sep. 29, 1736, probably Canterbury CT.
- Mary Cleaveland* (1720-1765)
- John Cleaveland; b. Apr. 12, 1722. Grad. Yale, A.B. 1745, Chaplain in Amer. Rev., Minister at Ipswich MA.
- m1. Mary Dodge
- m2. Mary (Neale) Foster
- Lydia Cleaveland; b. Feb. 16, 1723/4; d. Mar. 26, 1745, Canterbury.
- Ebenezer Cleaveland; b. Dec. 25, 1725; Grad. Yale, 1748; Chaplain in Amer. Rev.; Minister at Rockport and Amesbury.
- Aaron Cleaveland; b. Nov. 27, 1727; Capt. in Amer. Rev. from CT.
- m. Thankful Paine; b. Mar. 25, 1733; daughter of Elisha Paine (1693-1775) and Mary Johnson. Aaron and Thankful are first cousins to each other.
- Aaron and Thankful had a son, Moses Cleaveland (1754-1806), who was the founder of Cleveland, Ohio.
- Moses Cleaveland; b. Apr. 18, 1730; Jan. 1, 1741, Canterbury CT.
Abigail Paine* (1686-1762), is a grandmother of the man who founded Cleveland Ohio, Moses Cleaveland (1754-1806)
Through her grandmother, Mary Snow* (c1630-1704), Abigail Paine is descended from Mayflower passenger, Stephen Hopkins*.
- The Genealogy of the Cleveland and Cleaveland Families, by E. J. Cleveland and H. G. Cleveland, pub. by Case Lockwood & Brainard, Hartford CT, 1899.
- See the Encyclopedia of Cleveland History.
- Mayflower Families Through Five Generations, Vol. 6 - 2nd . Ed. - Stephen Hopkins, pub. by the General Society of Mayflower Descendants, 1995.
- Descendants of Governor William Bradford, by Ruth Gardiner Hall, under auspices of the Bradford Family Compact.
- Bradford Genealogy by Faith Bradford
- A Line of Bradfords 1460-1988 by Bradford Stone
Go to the Index of ancestral surnames
Go to the Index of Names: which includes names of in-laws, half-relations, aliases, and adopters.
Go to the How to use this genealogy page.
Contact the author: e-mail link: Phillips Verner Bradford
Note: Ancestors of Phillips Verner Bradford are denoted in the text lists with an asterisk (*) following the names.