| M94 - Galaxy in Canes Venatici
| A bright, very compact and nearly circular galaxy of the 9th magnitude, discovered by Mechain in 1781.
| Closeup detail
|A closeup of the above photo to make the spiral arm detail more visible.
- RA: 12:51
- Dec: 41:07
- Size: 7x3'
- Magnitude: 8.2
- Distance: 14.5 million ly
- Constellation: Canes Venatici
- Millennium Star Atlas: Vol. II, p. 610
- Scope: 8" SCT at f/11
- Autoguider: ST-4 autoguider in faint mode
- Sky conditions: Good seeing, moderate transparency.
- Film: Fuji Super G 800+
- Exposure: composite of two 40 minute exposures
- Date: 3-18-99
I was intending to go after M100 that evening and while doing some visual observing as I was waiting
for the evening temperature to stabilize, noted how bright this galaxy was and decided to shoot it also.
Back to the photograph list...